This episode dropped at you by Zukes.
Victoria talks concerning the newly-announced Victoria Stilwell Academy course dates for 2018 and walks by way of how the Academy works. Additionally, the way to find a Victoria Stilwell-licensed VSPDT trainer in your space. Victoria discusses the problem she set for herself to see if optimistic coaching can work when coaching high-drive working canines like police canines.
On the Positively Hotline, K9 handler and Guardians of the Evening star Shawn Humphreys from the Lawrenceville (GA) police division calls in to speak concerning the police canine world, together with how he’s coaching his new police canine, Ali, utilizing extra optimistic strategies. Subjects mentioned
- How officers go about getting matched with a police canine.
- Shawn’s journey in direction of utilizing extra optimistic strategies which can be much more efficient than the standard, punitive strategies he initially was skilled to make use of as a K9 officer.
- The significance of consistency when utilizing humane coaching strategies with working canines.
- The largest variations within the traits of canines skilled aversively versus optimistic coaching.
- The issue of K9 models coaching to go to work within the public and the pressures that K9 models face each from inside and outdoors of their departments to ‘get it proper.’
Ask Victoria questions embrace:
- Lab is nice with youngsters however doesn’t get together with different canines, particularly when occurring walks with strangers.
- Two-year previous Rottweiler is leash reactive and must be muzzled.
- Hound with historical past of separation nervousness starting to shiver when being round new folks and experiences.